About the Commission
The Winchester Historical Commission, established under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 40 (section 8D), is composed of seven (7) members appointed by the Town Manager and approved by the Select Board for staggered 3-year terms each.
The mission of the commission is the preservation, protection, and development of our town’s historical or archeological assets, and the establishment of protective measures of these assets for future generations.
Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Minutes
Winchester Code of By-Laws
- Preservation of Historically Significant Buildings Bylaw, Chapter 14 (PDF)
- Town Demolition and Renovation Information and Guidance (PDF)
- Demolition Review Process (flow chart)
Historical Surveys of Winchester
In 2016, with funding by the Town of Winchester and a matching grant from the Massachusetts Historical Commission, the Historical Commission hired a professional architectural historian to prepare a plan for a comprehensive survey of Winchester’s historic resources. Building on earlier efforts and incorporating new methods and approaches to the process, the resulting report, completed in 2017, organizes survey recommendations around the town’s seven neighborhoods. To date, completed work includes the survey plan itself and the first pare, a survey of the "Old West Side" (Winchester’s "Flats" neighborhood and adjacent areas). Work at present continues to surveying the North End. That final report is expected to be completed in 2020. Watch this space for future additions in what will ultimately cover the entire town.
- Researching Properties in Winchester (PDF)
- Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System (MACRIS)
- A guide to using MACRIS (PDF)
- Video guide to using MACRIS
- Massachusetts Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit
- Massachusetts Historical Commission
- Belmont Values Preservation (PDF)
- The National Register of Historic Places: Effects and Benefits of Listing (PDF)
- What You Need to know about Listing on the National Register (PDF)