Traffic and Transportation Advisory Committee
The Traffic and Transportation Committee (TTAC) advises the Select Board and Town Manager about Winchester’s interdepartmental Traffic and Transportation Program. The Program aims to steadily improve Winchester’s transportation facilities, operations, and services for all users and all modes of travel so that even the most vulnerable users can move throughout town more safely, comfortably, and expeditiously, year-round.
What is Winchester’s Traffic and Transportation Program:
The purpose of the program is to improve the safety and effectiveness of roadway, bikeway, walkway, parking and transit facilities, operations and services within the Town of Winchester. A key underpinning of the program is the Complete Streets policy adopted by the Select Board and detailed here
The objectives of the program are:
- Identify traffic and transportation safety, capacity and performance needs;
- Develop policy, regulatory, educational, capital and operating improvements (as appropriate) to address the needs;
- Assess the benefits, costs and risks of the proposed improvements; and
- Set out a multi-year action program.
A major goal of the program is to establish and consistently maintain, for ongoing management purposes, a standard set of maps, tables, lists and other documents*:
- Known and anticipated needs looking forward at least three years;
- Planned and initiated improvement projects and programs on a rolling three fiscal year basis
The collection of these documents is known as the "Road Book".
Town Manager anticipates reporting annually to the Select Board on the status and accomplishments of the program.
How are we doing?
|Sidewalk Policy||Select Board||1/27/20||Approved||Implementing|
|Solomon Foundation Grant - Acceptance Opens in New Window||Select Board||1/7/20||Accepted||Implementing|
|Reaffirming TTAV Role Opens in New Window||Select Board||12/16/19||Pending||TM to redraft for SB approval|
|Policy Regarding "Do Not Enter" and "Do Not Block Intersection Signage" Opens in New Window ||Select Board||4/22/19||Approved||Implementing|
|Road Striping Policy Opens in New Window||Select Board||10/29/18||Approved||Implementing|
How to Get Involved with TTAC and the Traffic and Transportation Program:
Attend a meeting: TTAC meets monthly. Meetings are posted on the Town of Winchester calendar and are open to the public. Public comments are welcome.
Become a member: Members are appointed by the Select Board for 3 year terms and openings may be available now. For details and to apply click here.
For current openings - Please click here Version OptionsTraffic and Transportation Advisory CommitteeHeadline
For Help With Your Traffic or Transportation Issue or to Request a Specific Action or Improvement Contact the Town Manager's Office:
The Town Manager's office logs your input and routes it to appropriate departments including the Police Department and the Department of Public Works.
TTAC receives summaries of such input, action and status and may use this information to formulate advice to the Select Board and Town Manager. Issues of a general or long term nature will be routed directly to TTAC by the Town Manager's Office. A flow chart of the resolution process is here.
News, Announcements and Resources:
Relevant Documents (links to documents)
- ARUP Cities Alive Towards Walking World
- FHWA Safety Program Road Diet Informational Guide
- MassDOT Municipal_Resource Guide for Walkability
- MassDOT Traffic Calming and Traffic Management
- Winchester Complete Streets Plan 2016-2017
- Winchester Complete Streets Policy 2016
- Winchester Traffic Management Tools
- 1 27 20 Amended SIDEWALK POLICY
- Accepting and Matching Soloman Foundation Grant
- APPROVED VERSION - ROAD STRIPING POLICY - 28 Oct 18
- Final SIDEWALK POLICY_ 18 Mar 19
- How to become a member of Traffic and Transportation Advisory Committee
- Reaffirming the Traffic and Transportation Program and the Role of TTAC
- TTAC Recommended Policies re DO NOT ENTER and DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION signage - Revised 9 June 2019