345kV Line (Woburn to Wakefield)
This page is dedicated to information and documentation related to the Eversource Mystic to Woburn 345kV Transmission Line Project. If you have comments or questions, please feel free to email the Select Board or call 781-721-7133.
August 29, 2022
Washington Street (Winchester): Near the intersection of Sunset Road, crews are preparing a trenchless crossing of the Aberjona River. Two excavation crews are connecting duct bank between Forest and Cross Street. Lane restrictions and, at times, detours will be in place around this work site. Pedestrian traffic will be limited to the westward side of the road with crossings at Fairmount, Orient, and Forest Streets. One lane of traffic will be maintained on Washington Street, and motorists may utilize the Forest Street detour. Please follow the direction of posted signage and police details.
Cross Street (Winchester): One crew is working to install duct bank between Holton Street and the Cross Street bridge. Lane restrictions and vehicle detours will be in place around this work site during work hours.
Lake Avenue (Woburn): Starting soon on Lake Avenue, an excavation crew will be working during the day to connect duct bank between Pickering Street and Arlington Road.
Work Hours & Schedule
In Winchester, crews from McCourt Construction will be working from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional work may be performed beyond normal hours, or over the weekend, based on approval from local officials. Additional crews on Lake Avenue in Woburn are connecting two sections of recently installed duct bank and are planning a trenchless crossing of the Horn Pond Brook.
To improve reliability and address the growing need for electricity, Eversource is constructing a new 345-kV underground transmission line that will connect Eversource’s Woburn Substation in Woburn and National Grid’s Wakefield Junction Substation in Wakefield, Mass. Eversource, in collaboration with Winchester Town officials, is focused on completing the installation of the new line over the coming year and will begin final road restoration in the Fall of 2023.
• Website: www.eversource.com/content/woburn-wakefield-project
• Email updates: join the list by visiting https://bit.ly/ESWWSignUp, or scan the QR code
• Interactive project map: https://bit.ly/ESWWmap
• Door-to-door outreach and construction update mailings conducted by Eric Sacchetti
• Hotline: 1-800-793-2202
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting soon, Eversource construction crews will resume construction activity in your neighborhood for the Woburn to Wakefield Line Project. This project is designed to increase the reliability of the electric grid in the area to meet growing demands for electricity by installing a new 345 kV (kilovolt) transmission line. Crews from McCourt Construction will continue installing duct bank on Washington Street and Cross Street. An additional crew will install a manhole (vault) on Cross Street between Holton Street and Adams Road. To prepare for this work, some work activities will be completed in advance.
McCourt Construction will be working Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. with the manhole installation occurring on Saturday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Some work may be conducted beyond normal work hours with approval from Town officials.
Currently, crews are preparing a trenchless crossing of the Aberjona River on Washington Street and installing duct bank on Washington Street and Cross Street. Starting soon, one crew will excavate the manhole location during daytime hours, followed by installation via crane on Saturday, July 16.
We coordinate closely with the Winchester Police Department and Town officials to maintain a safe and effective flow of traffic around project work areas. During the manhole excavation, vehicles will utilize a one-lane, alternating traffic pattern around the work zone. During the manhole installation, vehicles will follow a detour on Holton Street and Adams Road. Local access to property owners and businesses will be maintained along with large vehicle traffic. If access is obstructed, please catch the attention of a police detail officer or crew member to assist with your access needs.
Stay Informed – Contact Us
- Email: email@example.com
- Get project email updates by signing up at https://bit.ly/EversourceWWsignup or scan the QR code to the right
- Website: https://bit.ly/EversourceWW
McCourt Construction will be working Tuesday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm in Winchester and from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. in Woburn. Occasional work may be conducted beyond normal hours based on approval from municipal staff. Below is an overview of the work zones:
- Washington Street: One crew is excavating and installing duct bank, near Sunset Road and Andrea Circle. In the same area, crews are preparing for a trenchless crossing adjacent to the roadway.
- Cross Street: One crew is completing water connections to several properties between Washington Street and Forest Street. Once complete, one crew will begin excavating and installing duct bank on Cross Street, between Washington and Forest. In the coming weeks, McCourt will install a precast manhole (vault) on Washington Street between Marion and Cardinal Street. Temporary road closures may be required during the manhole installation.
- Cross Street: One crew is excavating and installing duct bank between Main Street and Wendell Street.
- Lake Avenue: One crew will begin excavating and installing duct bank between Pickering Street and Arlington Road. Additional test pits are being conducted this week.
- Montvale Avenue: One crew is completing a short stretch of duct bank near the I-93 interchange.
Eversource is committed to being a good neighbor and doing any work with respect for you and your property.
Keeping you Informed
Stay in Touch
Field outreach representatives will be in touch with door hanger notices updating people on construction activities.
This Spring, Eversource construction crews will return to your neighborhood to continue construction activity for the Woburn to Wakefield Line Project. This project is designed to increase reliability of the electric grid in the area to meet growing demands for electricity. As we perform this necessary work, we are continuing to follow COVID-19 health and safety guidelines. Crews from McCourt Construction will be installing duct bank on Washington Street and Cross Street along with several manholes (vaults) on Cross Street. To prepare for this work, some work activities will be completed beforehand. Property owners will be notified in advance of work occurring in your area.
Current activities include duct bank installation on Washington Street between Sunset Road and Cross Street. Other current activities include water relocations on Cross Street between Washington Street and Forest Street to prepare for upcoming duct bank and manhole (vault) installations on Cross Street later this season.
We coordinate closely with the Winchester Police Department and town officials to maintain a safe and effective flow of traffic. We will maintain two lanes of traffic near the “jack and bore”. Lane closures and detours may be necessary during duct bank installation. Local access to property owners and businesses will be maintained along with large vehicle traffic.
Vehicle detours for Washington Street currently utilize the Sunset Road neighborhood. Vehicle detours on Cross Street currently utilize Forest Street. Local access to property owners and businesses will be maintained along with large vehicle traffic.
Stay Informed – Contact Us
October 8, 2021
November 2, 2018
September 26, 2018
July 26, 2018
February 28, 2018
September 13, 2016
August 31, 2016
Attached hereto are the documents pertaining to the Town's case in opposition to the siting of the 345kV transmission line in Winchester. A brief summary of the Town's position can be found in the document "TOWN OF WINCHESTER OPENING STATEMENT".
The Energy Facilities Siting Board will continue its consideration of the case during the months of September and October. We will update with information as it comes available.
Open letter from Eversource to the Town of Winchester
Other documents related to this project
- EMF Analysis for Woburn-to-Wakefield Junction Underground 345kV Transmission Line
- Resume for Dr. Peter Valberg, Gradient Corp., consultant to Eversource on EMF
- Eversource presentation - Public Information Session, January 27, 2016
- Eversource presentation to the Board of Selectmen - January 11, 2016
- Eversource Postcard
- Eversource presentation to Board of Selectmen - April 6, 2015
- Information submitted to the Board of Selectmen - April 6, 2015 meeting