Regulations and Permit Information

Click Here for Online Payments

In addition to upholding State and Federal regulations involving the protection of public health and the environment, the Board of Health has adopted regulations governing the following areas:

Animal Regulations: Keeping of livestock and farm animals, such as chickens requires a permit in accordance with these regulations these regulations.  Click here for backyard chicken permit information and resources  

Asbestos: List of certified asbestos inspectors and contractors.  Asbestos removal requires a permit from:

Burial: Online Permit Payment 

Camps:  permit may be required for recreational programs for children.  Printable Permit Application / State regulations and guidance here

Dumpster Regulation: Permit required for:

Fee Schedule: 2022 Fee Schedule

Fill Regulations: Any person who places more than 30-yards of fill on their property must obtain a  permit from the Health Department Online Permit Application / Printable Permit Application  

Food: All food service establishments (restaurants), food retailers (convenience and grocery stores), and food events must be permitted to operate.  More details and permits here

Massage Therapy:  Permitted at the state level:

Pools: The Health department inspects public and semipublic pools annually for compliance with State Sanitary Code: Chapter V 105 CMR 435.00 Minimum Standards for Swimming Pools.  More details and permit application can be found here

Power Sanding: It is illegal to power-sand a structure that contains lead paint.

Pre-demolition: The Health Department must approve all demolition projects.  Online Checklist  / Printable Checklist

Retail Sale of Tobacco Products: The Health Department conducts compliance checks for the sale of tobacco and retailers require a permit. Tobacco Sale Regulations  / Printable Permit Application.

Tanning: To operate a tanning facility that utilizes equipment emitting ultraviolet radiation (tanning beds), a permit is required.

Trash/Transfer Station: The Health Department issues 3 types of permits: 

Waterfowl: Feeding waterfowl in the town is prohibited.

Well Permits: Installation of a well requires a permit from the Health Department.Online Permit Application / Printable Permit Application