May 7, 2020
Emergency Order of the Select Board and Board of Health to
Restrict Showings of Real Property
Whereas, on March 18, 2020, the Winchester Board of Health issued a declaration of a Public Health Emergency that exists in the Town of Winchester; and,
Whereas, on March 23, 2020, the Winchester Select Board announced that a local state of emergency exists in the Town of Winchester;
Whereas, the Select Board and Board of Health for the Town of Winchester have determined that additional and immediate public action is needed in order to minimize further spread of the coronavirus/COVID-19, by and among the people of the Town of Winchester;
Now therefore, in order to lessen the spread of COVID-19 and to minimize its further impact on members of the community, it is hereby ordered, by the Select Board and the Board of Health of the Town of Winchester, that:
1. Effective at 12:01am on May 8, 2020, all in-person showings of commercial and residential property for sale are to be conducted by pre-determined appointment only. Broker tours and open house format, i.e., unscheduled visits from the public for showings, are prohibited.
- The appointed time of showing by property owners, landlords, managers and real estate brokers and agents shall be with one prospective buyer(s), not to exceed two (2) people, plus agent, in a property at one time.
- Properties may be shown while inhabited or vacant. Reasonable written notice (electronic email is included) by the listing agent of no less than forty-eight (48) hours to tenants/occupants is required for rental properties.
- A cleaning plan should be in place and available for viewing before the showing. Cleaning plan should follow the CDC guidelines listed here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cleaning-disinfection.html. Extra consideration should be given to properties occupied by a tenant/occupant that is at high risk for severe illness as defined by the CDC.
- All CDC recommended precautions to limit the risk of coronavirus transmission must be followed during a showing. In Addition, (1) Face coverings and gloves will be worn by all parties present, including buyers, buyer agent and seller agent, (2) Shoe covers must be worn and will be provided by listing agent and disposed of by the buyer/buyer agent after the showing, and (3) Good hand hygiene should be practiced. Buyers/buyer agent should avoid touching surfaces including cabinets, doorknobs and other surfaces during the showing.
2. Listing Agent shall be responsible for ensuring that all conditions in this Order are followed, and that cleaning/disinfection of surfaces per CDC guidelines listed in 1c, is conducted.
This Order shall remain in effect until at least May 18, 2020, or until the Order is lifted.