2022 ANNUAL TOWN ELECTION
Offices to be filled in the 2022 Election
- Moderator for One Year
- Two Select Board for Three Years
- One Assessor for Three Years
- One Member Board of Health for Three Years
- One Member Board of Health for One Year
- Two Members of Planning Board for Three Years
- One Member of Planning Board for One Year - current member appointed due to vacancy
- Two Members of School Committee for Three Years
- Two Trustee of the Public Library for Three Years
- One Member of Housing Authority for Five Years
Town Meeting Members - In Precincts 1-8: There shall be elected 8 town meeting members in 8 Precincts for a total of sixty four (64) Town Meeting Members elected on March 19, 2022 Each term will be a 3 year term;
The notification deadline for incumbent Town Meeting Members to notify the Town Clerk is not until January 21, 2022.
Nominees to date:
Obtaining Nomination Papers
Nomination papers for interested candidates who are NOT currently holding public office can be obtained by stopping by the Winchester Town Clerk Office in person
With the continued challenges arising as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have outlined some guidelines and suggestions below to help candidates navigate the collection of signatures. Please contact our office at any time if you have any questions. We are open to the public 40 hrs. per week.
Obtaining signatures: What is allowed?
- Multiple signature pages – candidates are not required to fill nomination pages with signatures. Each signer may have their own nomination paper form.
- Town Clerk will be providing you as many copies of your nomination papers as you would like.
Obtaining signatures: What is not allowed?
- Electronic signatures are not allowed for town offices.
- All signatures must be in ink.
- Time Extensions. There are no extended deadlines approved by Massachusetts State for the obtaining of nomination signatures
- Reduction of Signatures. The number of signatures required remains the same 50 Town Wide and 10 for Town Meeting.
Suggestions for Obtaining Signatures:
- Candidates can set up a table at a post office (or other public place) such as the Transfer Station McKay Ave but include fresh pens, gloves and sanitizer. Contact Town Manager’s Office for Transfer Station permission.
- Some candidates are announcing the locations of supporters who have covered porches and letting people drop by to sign. Candidates can set specific hours to sign so their nomination papers don't stay unsupervised for long hours
- Advertise designated signing areas/times through social media or mail
- Good Luck to all
2022 TOWN ELECTION CALENDAR
|December 23, 2021 - 8:00AM||Nomination papers available at Town Clerk’s office|
|January 20, 2022 - 5:00PM|
Year-end Campaign Finance Reports due (previous town-wide candidates and ballot question committees with available funds) (MGL 55§18)
|January 21, 2022 - 5:00PM|
Last day for Incumbent Town Meeting Member to become a candidate for re-election, by giving written notice to the Town Clerk (MGL 53§10); Home Rule Charter Article 2 Section 2-3(b)
|January 26, 2022 - 5:00PM||Last day to obtain nomination papers (MGL 53§9A)|
|January 28, 2022 - 5:00 PM|
Last day to submit nomination papers to Registrars of Voters for certification (MGL 53§7)
|February 11, 2022 - 5:00PM|
Last day for Registrars to file nomination papers with Town Clerk (MGL 53§10)
|February 15, 2022 - 5:00PM||Last day to object to or withdraw from candidacy (MGL 55B§7)|
|February 16, 2022 - 4:00PM|
Ballot Position Drawing at Town Clerk’s Office (Charter 7-11(b)
|February 17, 2022 - 8:00AM||Ballot goes to the printer|
|February 25, 2022 - 8:00 PM||Deadline to Register to Vote|
|March 11, 2022|
Campaign Finance Reports Due (town-wide candidates who have formed a candidate committee for the town election) (MGL 55§18)
|March 18, 2022 - 12 Noon||Deadline to apply for Absentee Ballot (MGL 54§89)|
|Saturday, March 19, 2022|
(Code of By-Laws 3:1)
|ANNUAL TOWN ELECTION|
Polls Open 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM (Code of By-laws 3§2)
|April 8, 2022|
Campaign Finance Reports Due (town-wide candidates) (MGL 55§18)