Online Building Permits
Procedures For Obtaining A Building Permit
Please read all of these procedures before heading to our Permitting System
- BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION- All Permit applications are submitted online at the Town Website. Click “online permitting”, register (create account if needed) complete application.
- New homes require a HERS Certification as Winchester is a Stretch Code Community.
- Certified Plot Plan- Submit one copy of plot plan showing proposed building/addition to scale, noting distance to Lot lines, water/sewer, hardscape & green space / lot location coverage %’s & driveway location. This is required to ensure compliance with Zoning By-Laws (setbacks). Required for all new buildings (additions, pools) may also require plot plans. A new “AsBuilt” may be required after installation of foundation. Please be advised that Zoning has an impact on preexisting nonconforming structures with regards to new additions and second levels.
- FRAMING PLANS- Show the size of the addition and/or foundation, size of lumber, joist, headers, door, window sizes, insulation, etc. and floor plan with sq. footage noted. Any Engineered lumber (LVL’s) required STAMP form same.
- FIRE DEPARTMENT- Approval required for new Residential construction, bedroom additions and for interior work to commercial or industrial properties.
- FEES- Fees are calculated on the estimated cost of all material, labor, site work, sub-contractor work. Fees are $16.00 per $1,000 of the estimated cost. The minimum fee for residential jobs is $50.00. All building projects require an additional Certificate of Occupancy $50.00.
- HOMEOWNERS-If the homeowner is the applicant and acting as the general contractor under the Homeowner Exemption, he/she may lose their right to the HIC Arbitration and Guaranty Fund. Please see State website for Office of Consumer Affairs.
- CONTRACTORS- Upload copies of CSL & HIC Registration, Insurance and Contract w/homeowner and any related Drawings/specs.
Depending on the scope of the project, additional application materials may be required. Please contact the Building Department at (781)721-7115.