COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Regulation of the Winchester Board of Health
Notice is hereby given that on August 16, 2021, the Winchester Board of Health adopted the following emergency regulation under the provisions of MGL Chapter 111, § 31:
Based upon review of current COVID-19 caseload and testing positivity rates in Winchester and Middlesex County the Select Board, and Board of Health held a meeting on August 16, 2021 and pursuant to M.G.L. c. 111 §§ 31 and 104; The Board of Health voted to adopt as a public health mandate, with the support of the Select Board, the following indoor mask regulations in the Town of Winchester.
- Effective at 12:01am Thursday, August 19 , 2021, face coverings are required for all individuals aged two years and above in all indoor public spaces, houses of worship, or private spaces open to the public except where an individual is unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition or disability.
- Food service establishment customers may only remove face coverings when seated.
- Indoor performance venue customers may only remove face coverings in the actual act of eating and drinking, if permitted in the venue.
- Lodging guests and workers are required to wear face coverings when inside hallways and common areas.
- Fitness Center/Health Club workers, customers, and visitors are required to wear face coverings during fitness activity, including strenuous activity.
- At Personal Services establishments, including, but not limited to, barber shops, hair and nail salons, all customers and workers are required to wear face coverings, except for skin or beard care that occurs on the face, where the customer may temporarily remove the face covering but must immediately put the face covering back on for the remainder of the visit.
- Masks remain mandatory for all individuals on public and private transportation systems (including rideshares, livery, taxi, ferries, and buses), in healthcare facilities and in other settings hosting vulnerable populations, such as congregate care settings, as directed by the Governor and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- All entry doors of businesses open to the public must post notice advising customers that face masks must be worn inside the establishment. Establishment staff must supervise and enforce this requirement. If a customer refuses to wear a mask or face covering for non-medical reasons, a business may decline entry to the individual.
- The Winchester Board of Health and authorized agents pursuant to MGL chapter 111, § 30, are authorized to enforce this Regulation and if necessary, may do so with the assistance of the Winchester police and other designees appointed by the Town Manager. Violations of this Regulation may be punished by a civil fine, if after a verbal education and written warning, of up to $300 per violation in the manner provided for non-criminal disposition of violations of Board Health Regulations by MGL Chapter 40, § 21D and Chapter 8, § 35 of the Code of Bylaws of the Town of Winchester.
This mandate will be reviewed by the Board of Health at each subsequent regular meeting. If no action is taken by the BOH to rescind it, this Regulation will remain in effect.
NOTE: Addendum of Board of Health as of September 13, 2021:
This mandate will no longer be in effect whenever the Level of Community Transmission data from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for Middlesex County is categorized as either “Low” or “Moderate” over a consecutive two-week period
The Town Manager or her designee is authorized to carry out this mandate.
Date: August 16, 2021